As the nation’s largest physician-owned medical malpractice insurer, The Doctors Company is fiercely committed to relentlessly defending, protecting, and rewarding our members with the industry’s most aggressive claims defense, unrivaled protection, and innovative rewards.
A.M. Best Rating: A Excellent
Total Assets: Over $4 Billion
Position in Florida Market: Insures approximately 4,000 physicians in Florida.
History and Description: Formed by California doctors in 1976, MICRA tort reform aftermath with left over tort reform political funds. TDC Recently acquired First Professional Insurance Company (FPIC) in 2011. TDC insures about 75,000 doctors nationwide and is endorsed by many national medical societies.
Policy form: Standard features, claims-made
Policy Enhancements include:
Tthe Tribute® Plan —A unique breakthrough financial benefit that strengthen the practice of medicine while making it more rewarding. It was recently announced that the Tribute Plan® has returned free retirement and disability benefits of up to $550 million in assets to their policyholders.
Free tail coverage—For members who have been insured by The Doctors Company for five continuous years, we offer free tail coverage upon retirement from the practice of medicine or in the event of disability or death.
MediGuard®—We automatically provide MediGuard coverage as part of our medical malpractice policy. This important coverage provides you with legal representation for administrative actions brought by Medicare/Medicaid, medical licensing boards, credentialing reviews and actions, professional review organizations, federal agencies regarding EMTALA, and the DEA. Coverage features include:
- Utilization – Addresses Medicare and Medicaid utilization and billing review proceedings, including allegations of improper documentation involving overutilization, overbilling, unnecessary services charges, and “up coding.”
- Licensing – Covers state medical licensing board reviews involving potential sanctions for unprofessional conduct.
- Credentialing – Covers health care provider credentialing reviews that may adversely affect existing clinical privileges, credentialing, or staff membership.
- Misconduct – Provides protection for Professional Review Organization proceedings involving allegations of misconduct.
CyberGuard®—Privacy and data security exposure is the fastest growing threat to your medical practice or facility. As a member, you receive cyber liability protection as part of your core coverage. CyberGuard protects you against claims arising from the theft, loss, or accidental transmission of electronic patient information, as well as regulatory fines and penalties, and the cost of data recovery. We also offer CyberGuard for Large Groups. Coverage options include:
- Patient Notification and Credit Monitoring Costs Insurance – Includes all necessary legal, public relations, advertising, and postage expenses incurred by the member to notify patients of a breach of information. It will also pay for credit monitoring for all affected persons.
- Network Security and Privacy Insurance – Includes coverage for both online and print information, virus attacks and denial of service attacks, identity theft, and more.
- Regulatory Coverage – Includes coverage for defense of HIPAA or any other investigation conducted by a government agency resulting from a privacy breach. Also covers regulatory fines.
- Network Asset Protection – Includes all reasonable and necessary sums required to recover or replace data that is compromised, damaged, lost, erased, or corrupted.
- Cyber Extortion Insurance – Covers costs and expenses related to a credible threat, including a demand for money.
- Multimedia Liability Insurance – Covers claims alleging copyright/trademark infringement, libel/slander, false advertising, plagiarism, and personal injury for both online and print media.
- CyberGuard eRisk Management Web Site – Provides online access to regulatory compliance guidance, risk reduction resources, sample policies and procedures documents, and information to aid in management of a data breach.